This is an experiment about photosynthesis which is the process where plants use light to make sugar (glucose) that they can later use as food.
- 500 ml beaker
- 3 petri dishes
- test tubes
- iodine (I)
- beaker tongs
- sugar and starch
- 3 leaves (1green, 1 white, 1 green and white)
- 25 ml beaker
- Fill the beaker with water until it reaches 300ml.
- Fill the test tubes with alcohol and insert one leaf in each test tube.
- Put the test tubes in the beaker and let it boil until the leaves lose their color.
- In the small beaker add water, sugar, and starch.
- Stir until all is dissolved.
- Put a few drops of iodine in the dropper.
- What is the color of the iodine?
Iodine is brown
- Add a drop of Iodine in the small beaker.
- What is happened to the color?
It changed from brown to indigo.
- This means that iodine +sugar = blue.
- Put each leaf in a petri dish.
- Wash it with water.
- Add a few drops of iodine.
- What is the color of the leaf?
Some leaves turn blue and some stay brown.
Plants make photosynthesis.
Food is starch and sugar stored in the leaves
Please comment below if you have any comments or questions about this experiment.