In this experiment we will create a homemade freezer and make ice cream. Ice cream requires very cold temperatures below freezing to come out well. Salt will be used to lower the freezing point of ice.
- A bag of ice cubes
- A cup of salt (NaCl)
- 200ml milk
- Ice cream powder
- String rod
- Beaker (500 ml)
- Strong zip-lock bags (2liters)(500 ml
- Alcohol thermometer
- (25 ml) beaker
Experiment (Part 1):
- Put a few ice cubes in a beaker.
- Measure its temperature using the alcohol thermometer.
- Add a spoon of salt.
Experiment (Part 2):
- Mix in the 500ml beaker the milk and the ice cream powder.
- Pour the mixture in the small zip lock bag and seal it.
- Put the sealed bag in the bigger bag with the ice and salt.
- Seal the bag and shake very well.
- Leave it for 4 hours but keep shaking periodically.