Hi friends! It’s been a while since I sent my last post.
Do you want to learn a new language but don’t know where to start? Well, I’m gonna tell you all about Duolingo, a free, fun, and effective way to learn a language online!
Duolingo is a personalized and universally accessible online platform that lets you learn a language for free. You can practice with millions of people, get feedback, and access the most effective educational system possible for your level and goals.
Duolingo uses a combination of research-backed teaching methods and delightful content to create courses that effectively teach reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills.
You can choose from over 40 languages, including Spanish, French, German, Japanese, Arabic, Hindi, and more you love!
As a Duo user, I learned many languages, including Norwegian, dutch, greek, french, German, and several others.
Let’s Dive into the History of Duolingo
Duolingo was founded in 2011 by Luis von Ahn and Severin Hacker, two computer scientists from Carnegie Mellon University. They wanted to create a way for anyone in the world to learn a language without paying anything.
They also wanted to use the power of crowdsourcing to create free language courses and translate the web. This app is the result of the immense effort of many contributors!
Duolingo started as a research project at Carnegie Mellon University, where Luis von Severin Hacker developed a new way of teaching languages using gamification and spaced repetition.
They launched a beta version of the app in 2012 and quickly gained millions of users.
Since then, Duolingo has grown to become the most popular language learning app in the world, with over 500 million learners and 300 million active users (proud to say I’m one of that 300 million active learners! LOL)
Where Can You Dive in Duolingo?
Literally, Duolingo offers courses in over 40 languages, ranging from the most widely spoken ones like English, Spanish, and Mandarin to the less common ones like Irish, Swahili, and Navajo.
You can also learn FICTIONAL languages like Klingon, High Valyrian, and Esperanto!! Duolingo constantly adds new languages and updates existing ones based on user feedback and demand.
Duolingo relies on volunteers worldwide to create and improve its courses. These volunteers are course contributors, passionate language learners, and experts who dedicate their time and skills to improving Duolingo.
Course contributors work in teams to design the curriculum, write the content, record the audio, test the lessons, and answer user questions. Duolingo supports them by providing tools, training, guidance, and recognition.
You may already know about the Duolingo En test. I’ll tell you about it briefly.
Duolingo English test integrates the latest assessment science and AI. It also measures your English proficiency in 60 minutes or less.
Using your computer or smartphone, you can take it online anytime, anywhere. The test results are accepted by over 3,000 institutions worldwide as proof of your English ability for admission or employment.
Benefits of using Duolingo
Learning a language with Duolingo has many benefits for your personal and professional growth.
Here are some of them:
– You can learn at your own pace and schedule. You can set goals and track progress with daily reminders and streaks.
– You can have fun while learning. You can earn points, unlock new levels, compete with friends, join clubs, and collect rewards.
– You can improve your cognitive skills. Learning a language can boost your memory, creativity, problem-solving, and critical thinking abilities.
– You can expand your cultural horizons. Learning a language can help you understand different perspectives, appreciate diversity, and connect with people from different backgrounds.
– You can enhance your career opportunities. Learning a language can make you more competitive in the global market, increase your earning potential, and open new doors for you.
Certainly, as an active duo user (also a student), I experienced a lot of benefits from this. When I was traveling with my parents, I could talk with a French foreigner (as I was already learning French in Duo!)
So Why Would I Recommend Duo As A Kid?
If you are a guy who wants to learn a language, Duolingo is a great choice for you because of these reasons:
– You can learn faster and easier. Kids have an advantage when learning languages because their brains are more flexible and adaptable. (LOL)
– You can have fun while learning. We love games, stories, cartoons, and animals. Duolingo has all of these elements to make learning enjoyable for you.
– You can develop lifelong skills. Learning a language can help you improve your academic performance, communication skills, self-confidence, and creativity.
– You can prepare for the future. Learning a language can give you an edge in the future when you apply for college or jobs.
Funny Sentences that Appeared in Duolingo Language Lessons (XD Time!)
One of the things that makes Duolingo fun is that it sometimes includes funny or absurd sentences in its lessons.
These sentences are meant to make us laugh or think while learning new words or grammar rules.
Here are some examples of funny sentences that appeared in Duolingo language lessons:
– The bear drinks beer. (German)
– The cat is a lawyer. (French)
– I am a banana. (Spanish)
– You are a beautiful potato. (Irish)
– He does not want to be a penguin. (Norwegian) (I had this!!)
– She is eating rice with her nose. (Japanese)
– The horse is in the bathroom. (Italian)
– The duck speaks English. (Dutch)
What is Duocon 2023?
If you often surf the internet, you may have spotted this word! What is it?
Duocon is Duolingo’s annual conference where language learners, educators, researchers, and enthusiasts from around the world come together to celebrate and learn about languages and cultures. Duocon 2023 is the fifth edition of the event, and last month, it was held in New York City, USA (October).
The conference featured inspiring speakers, interactive workshops, networking opportunities, and cultural activities. You can also meet Duo, the friendly owl mascot of Duolingo, and other members of the Duolingo community.
Latest Feature of Duolingo: Math and Music (Must Check!)
Duolingo is not only about languages. It also wants to help you learn other subjects to enrich your life and mind. That’s why Duolingo has recently launched a new feature that lets you learn math and music for free.
Duolingo Math and Music are bite-sized courses that teach you the basics of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, fractions, music theory, notation, chords, scales, and more.
You can even practice with fun exercises, quizzes, and games that adapt to your level and pace. You can also earn badges, compete with friends, and join clubs to stay motivated.
Currently, only users in a few countries and users with iOS can use the Math and Music feature. I’m using it now, and it’s really fun!
I think Asia also has access because Sri Lankan users can use it. So why not others?
So, we’ve come to an end…
As we discussed, Duolingo is an amazing platform that can help us learn a language or other subjects for free.
Whether you want to travel, study, work, or have fun, Duolingo can help you achieve your goals and dreams.
So what are you waiting for? Join Duolingo to kick-start your amazing dreams!
Special thanks to all who contributed to the preparation of this amazing work- to all those who started this, to all course contributors, and to all who maintain them.
Also, thanks to Duoplanet.com for valuable info about Duolingo.
Dear Kidzsearch, our thanks are always to you, too!
In the next post, I’ll explain the structure of Duolingo! Until then, have a nice day!-